The Camerons of Ben Ohau Station

Compiled by Simon J Cameron         1997 update

Ben Ohau Station,

Twizel, New Zealand.


Fax               : 0064-034350662

The Cameron family History

The family belongs to the Perthshire branch of Lochiel but owing to a lack of records it has not been possible to go back before 1799 when Hugh Cameron of Styx, Aberfeldy was married.

The Camerons were tenants on the Breadalbane Estate near Aberfeldy and Kenmore.

A search of the register of the parish of Dull reveals that Hugh would have been the son of either –

1/ James Cameron & Isabel Menzies – married 7th. December 1757 and had the following children at Croftmoraig

Donald 4 Nov 1758
Duncan 17 Oct 1762  
John   8 Oct 1764               
James  20 Mar 1767               
Fanny  16 May 1769              
Hugh   20 Jun 1771                  

(Baptism Dates)

or         2/ Hugh Cameron & Helen Anderson – married 6th. September         1766 who had the following children….

Malcolm Baptised 2nd. Aug 1768 at Sherwail

Margaret         ”         26th. Aug 1770              ”

Alexander        ”         15th. Jan 1773              ”

Hugh                ”           4th. July   1777             ”


It seems more than likely that Hugh Cameron born in 1771 is the Hugh Cameron who married in 1799 since the names of the latter’s children are almost identical with the brothers of the former. In other words, Hugh Cameron, son of James Cameron and his wife Isabel (nee Menzies) would appear to be the Hugh Cameron married in 1799 and from whom the family descends.

As there is no known available proof such statement must be taken as assumption only.


Hugh Cameron of Styx, Aberfeldy. He is known to have been a small farmer and is also listed in the Upper Styx Census of 1841 as a mason aged 70 years. It was usual for small farmers of that time to have a secondary occupation. He is not listed in the 1851 Census so he may have died before this census.

Hugh Cameron and Catherine Anderson, both being of the parish of Dull, “gave up their names to be proclaimed in order to marriage on 17th. November 1799”

They had the following Children:

            James Baptised 20th. Dec 1800 *

Donald        ”         13th. Jan   1802

John             ”         21st. Oct   1804 John is mentioned in the 1841 Census as an agricultural labourer aged 35 years, with wife Ann aged 26 years, and son Ewan aged 4 years.

Alexander ”           7th. July   1807

Duncan       ”           6th. July   1810


Of the above family, James was married on 8th. June 1835, at Peebles, by the Rev. Edward Hume, Minister of Pitsligo, Aberdeenshire, to Jane, daughter of James Keddie, draper, and his wife, Jean (nee Steel), both of Peebles.

James and Jane Cameron spent the first years of their married life at Peebles. James managed the Tontine Hotel for the Tweedale Shooting Club for 12 years.

(confirmed in 1983 by writer when visiting Peebles and searching the files and minute books of the Tweedale Shooting Club which is still in existence. Locals were very helpful especially the local Lawyer.)

The Tontine Hotel (still in existence in 1983) was built on the 1st. November 1790 for 3950 pounds in 25 pound shares by French prisoners of war. in 1808 the Tweedale Shooting Club held a “Ball” which is still being held annually to this day.

James was the 3rd. Landlord between 1831 – 1843. James & Jane also farmed at Innerleithen. Subsequently they lived at “Ardentrive” a free farm which James bought in 1843, on the Island of Kerrera, opposite Oben, Argyllshire.

James stocked his farm at Ardentrive with some very fine cattle, for which he was noted. He was very fond of music and played the flute with skill. He was caught in a storm and took a chill from which he died on 1st. May 1850. He is buried in the old church-yard cemetery at Oben.

After his death his wife lived on at Ardentrive and with the help of Duncan MacDougall as overseer she carried on the farm there.

Unfortunately the Trustees sold the cattle and went in for sheep which were not a success.

Jane Cameron died at Ardentrive on the 27th. of August 1856. After her death the family carried on there but had to sell out after two years when they went to live at Sorab House Oben where Jane’s sister Isabella (nee Keddie) and her husband Duncan MacArthur lived. Here, the eldest daughter Jane, died on the 13th. May 1859.

It was then decided that the remaining family of six should go to New Zealand and on 18th. November 1859 they sailed in the “Gala” under Captain Fisher- and arrived in New Zealand Wednesday the 22nd. of February 1860, Port Chalmers Dunedin. On shore on the 25th. February, they had letters of introduction to Rev. Dr. Burns in Dunedin who , with his wife, were very good to them. They had a small cottage and the boys got to work as soon as they could.


Catherine Ann Cameron wrote a letter to her Uncle and Aunt

Duncan & Isabella MacArthur, written in diary form whilst on the

“Gala” on their way to New Zealand 1859-60. A copy of this letter is

below. Catherine at 21 years was the eldest member of the family

when they made their long voyage to New Zealand.

The youngest, Edward, was only 11 years old!


The following is the text of Catherine Ann Cameron’s letter……


8th. December, 1859.

My dearest Uncle & Aunt,

I am afraid you would be very much displeased with me if you knew that nearly three weeks have passed and I’m only beginning my long letter. I wonder when you will get it? How often do we speak about you all and wonder what you will be doing, making allowance for difference of time, we often envy you sitting down to a comfortable tea etc. But I must begin and try and give you all the news I can remember since the commencement of our voyage. I was exceedingly sorry I was not able to send a note with the tug boat, she left us about nine in the morning, so I was scarcely up and dreadfully sick. I fear you would be disappointed.

After the tug left we got along pretty comfortably till about 12 o’clock at night it began to blow (what I would have called a hurricane, but the Captain a fair breeze) though afterwards confessed it to be rather heavy weather. This continued for more than a week. I can assure you we were all heartily tired of it for such sickness and everything so uncomfortable was very, very trying.

I had to go to bed on Sabbath forenoon and did not re-appear till Tuesday afternoon. Johnie stayed till the Friday, the rest got on wonderfully. Many of the passengers are still far from well, even after three week’s nautical experience. Now we have splendid weather but rather quiet. Just fancy, in the beginning of December, we don’t know what to do with the heat. We are within a week’s sail of the Line. Today we passed the Island of St. Antonia. Tell the children we are seeing immense shoals of flying fish, pretty little creatures. A Dolphin also passed yesterday but I did not see it.

We have never seen land since dear Scotland faded from our view, on the memorable Saturday when we parted with dear Uncle. I never will forget the feeling of loneliness that came over me when the boat you were in went out of sight.

But we are getting on pretty well. I am sometimes like to lose heart, for it is most miserable down below, but as long as we are on deck I never was in better spirits. I am quite a different creature to what I have been these many months. The Captain is a very nice man – he seems to have taken quite an interest in us, especially Bella and I. We get on very well. Then there is Mr. Mackay and his young wife, we are very intimate with them. They are quite plain people but Mr Makay is a very well informed person. There is another gentleman, exceedingly kind and attentive, a Mr Dowbiggin a nephew of Lord Panmure and such arguing as we have about dancing and novels etc etc. he has done everything in his power to tempt me to read, giving me his books but I won’t give in and now he has given me a volume on the French Revolution which I am reading to keep him quiet. There is no end to his kindness, the other day I was not very well and he brought me a little brandy and water. Then at night I did not again go down for tea, he brought me a nice cup of tea, a thing I never take, it is so very bad. Everybody is feeling very far from being satisfied with the arrangements on board. The places down below are frightfully close and a shocking smell in this dreadful heat – it is suffocating. I can’t tell you how thankful I feel when I get up on deck. We get our things quite differently now, the whole of the people are divided into messes of nine, we get a week’s allowance of tea, sugar, flour, oatmeal, biscuits, butter, suet, raisins, peppercorns, lime-juice, mustard and vinegar (there is a long list). We do have to exercise economy to make two ends meet. The two young men who share the boys berth are included in our mess. The gardener one has turned out a most disagreeable fellow, he can’t agree with anyone. When they were first in our mess they got a share of what was going every day but we soon found out we would have the worst of it, for instance the first week’s supply of butter – we only had it to one meal. Jamie ate it all, biscuits we were a whole day short and just had to fast – but now on the days which the different provisions are served out, the boys measure out their share, so we are getting on a little better.

Monday 12th. December, 1859.

The most of the above was written last week. I have not been so well and could not exert myself, the heat is so very oppressive and makes everybody feel sick and lazy. Today I feel better but when once I get on deck I can’t think of going down again. I can never feel thankful enough for your thoughtfulness, uncle dear, in giving me these oranges – ever since we left I have been taking one occasionally. When sick we suffer dreadfully from thirst and the water has been dreadfully bad, it has such a taste, now it is quite warm, when sick the smell of it was enough to overcome me. I would sometimes almost fly to the oranges and greedily devour one. v If ever you come out be sure and bring a good supply of oranges and a water filter.

They all get water filtered for the cabin and there is a very great difference. Another thing I am grateful we brought, is the disinfecting fluid, the people in the berth next to us have a terrible smell. Oh! the most of them are a dirty set. I am afraid for disease breaking out amongst us, but would a hundred times sooner be where we are than in the single females division. Its a farce (?) that the people are so particularly picked, especially, I think the females – they are so light some of them even go to the length of drinking to excess. What I think has been one great mistake in arrangement of the vessel is this, that the single woman’s hatchway is just before the cabin door, then the gentlemen go on with so much familiarity and they encourage them too much. This makes me very thankful that we are not there. But I see it depends most on one’s behaviour, how others behave to them, for though they are all attentive they never offer anything like familiarity to me. Indeed, I often think I never really came in contact with the world till now. Oh that I might be enabled to walk according to the profession I have made.

Saturday 17th. December 1859.

I find it is impossible for me to write every day. However I’ll not despair, but will try to do better next week. Very hot below, but a pleasant breeze. Will cross the line tomorrow if spared v I never had any idea of what thirst was before. and we go on at the same rate as today. Are into the South-East trades now. It is very calm – how different from the first week, such tossing’s and heading’s and noise of the sails and occasionally a flood of water coming down the hatchway was truly alarming to us land folks and yet the captain looks upon it all as nothing. We have indeed much cause for gratitude to our Heavenly Father for bringing us so far on our way in safety and the good health we are all enjoying.

There are many things very trying but they might have been much worse and we have many mercies and much kindness shown us. I have never told them. There have been three births since we left on board already, one stillborn and the other in a dying state.


Sunday 18th. December 1859.

A melancholy day on board, two little babies buried in the sea, they both died during the night of a sort of galloping consumption, one of them was the eldest of the children born on board, the other was a child about fifteen months old, very trying for the parents. It was a sad sight, two little bodies were tied together, with weights attached to their little limbs and put in a cloth. They were laid on a board covered with the “Union Jack” and rested on the leeside of the vessel, while the service was being read. Then the word . . . . ? was pronounced and they were dropped in, never to rise till the sea also will yield up it’s dead. Oh that we would all think of these things that we would consider our latter end. Who will be next? And yet there is great thoughtlessness and fearful disregard to the things of eternity shown on this ship.

Monday 19th. December 1859.

Not very well.

Tuesday 20th. December 1859.

Very hot, but a most refreshing breeze, when we can get out of the sun. Saw land off the coast of Brazil. We are within a hundred and 20 miles of South America. The Captain not pleased at all with the wind we have (South East trades) he says he never was taken so far away west before. I can’t tell you how great a mercy I think the Captain is, he is such a nice man and so very kind, indeed everybody is kind to us.

Wednesday 21st. December 1859.

Another little baby died of some complaint. It is well they are so soon delivered, for this is not the place for such young childred and especially where there is a lingering illness. This is another child, three deaths within four days – Hugh is very ill indeed, with a severe attack of diarrhoea, so much that his mind is wavering a good deal – feeling anxious about him. There are a good many ill with the same, in a few hours they become very much reduced and weak.

Thursday the 22nd. December 1859.

Very close and hot. Have not been up on deck yet though it is five to one. Have been nursing Hugh – still very ill, but the fever accompanying is very much abated but very weak. I am thankful however he speaks quite coherently today.

Friday 6th. January (1860).

I have been a long time in writing to wish a “Happy New Year” to all my dear friends at Heath Cottage and many, many returns of the same. How often do my thoughts recur to this time last year, it was just then that our dear Jane’s last illness began.

Saturday 21st. January 1860.

What a time has passed since I last wrote any of this letter. I have got out of the way of doing it now. Hugh and James were both laid up together and I can assure you I had enough to do. James got the better of his attack in a few days but Hugh was confined to bed for nearly a fortnight and even after getting up took a long time to come round, he got dreadfully thin, I never saw anyone so quickly reduced. He is now, I am glad to say, filling up nicely and has a very good appetite. After my long confinement downstairs I did not feel so well either but now I feel again in excellent health and spirits. You can have no idea how quickly the time is passing to us. I could not have believed that I would have wearied so little. I have so much to do what with baking and everything else it is sometimes after tea before I go up on deck. Not but that I would do it all in a short time at home but having so little room it is quite a labour to do anything especially when the ship rolls much, which she does a great deal. She is what they call very cranky – the least breeze of wind topples her over. I must say I would not like Her in a storm. We had a rather heavy storm coming round the cape. I was constantly afraid she would go on her beam ends. She would give such frightful lurches you would think she would never right herself again. I know some of the sailors don’t think much of her, but the Captain always assures me of perfect safety. We made some fine runs this week, one day 270 knots, the next 260 and the next 250. I would prefer doing a little slower and easier. I must say that now I am not wearing so much as some of the rest of the passengers. If we would have moderate weather we got on wonderfully well. Everybody is friendly to us and without any self – flattery we seem to have the good opinion of all classes. The Captain is really very kind to have the good opinion of all classes. The Captain is really very kind to me, very seldom does a day pass without him showing some little kindness, he comes and shakes hands with me every day and speaks away to me as if I was an old wife. He tells me all his grievances and many things he wouldn’t to any other person, then gives me a walk on the poop and jokes away about many a thing and so time passes. It seems as though New Year’s Day was only yesterday and here it is the 21st. already. And what news about all dear, dear friends. What would I not give to see you all again to wish all a happy, happy New Year and many more of them. I do trust we may all be spared to meet again, even in this world and yet I often think what may not have taken place already – however if not in this world I pray we will all be found in that day when God counts up his Jewels. There have been two other little babies died since I wrote last. I’ll need to stop tonight for though I have a lot on my mind to tell you about I can’t arrange my ideas enough to write it. If you only heard the noise – it’s enough to turn anyone’s head. Just now they are playing on every sort of instrument, all different tunes and the children bawling, some singing, laughing or crying as they feel inclined.

Wednesday 25th. January 1860.

A most beautiful day and quite a treat after the tossing we have had these few days back. Sabbath was a very squally day, the ship rolled about a great deal but we made a splendid run.

Monday 275 knots and Tuesday 244. – Today we have gone more leisurely and it is certainly more pleasant for when she goes quickly with a high wind, she ships a good many seas and then it comes pouring down the hatchway and makes us, who are so near it, very uncomfortable. One night last week, when the sea was running high , she shipped a terrible sea, it all came down into our berth and Hugh and Eddie, who were lying low in the berth, had to get up, the bed was so wet. I got Eddie packed up into ours but Hugh had to dress and lie on one of the chests. I was afraid he would be the worse of it after his recent illness, however none of us was the worse of our bath. I believe we have great cause for thankfulness for the fine passage we have so far. The Captain says we have had nothing to speak of yet. If you determine to come, leave about the same time as we did, then it is summer commencing about the Cape, and Aunt, you need not think it a very great undertaking. I thought the time would never pass (before we left) and here I find myself within seventeen days sail of New Zealand (if we go on at this rate) and only seems a few days since we left, comparatively speaking, and you’ll even get quite accustomed to the toss about and don’t feel alarmed with a pretty high sea. A good ship will stand a great deal and then we are in the same safe keeping on the land. Today we spoke a ship, the first since we came out. We have seen a great number, sometimes two or three a day, but we never came near enough, except at night, when we were once nearly run down. The one today was bound for China, laden with coal from Cardiff. I can’t describe my feelings, hearing and seeing other human beings on the wide ocean. They had a beautiful large dog and to hear it bark was delightful, it was so homelike. She had been out 75 days, we 65 so we must be a better sailor and she a great deal larger. We have left her far behind, she bearing away to the north and we the opposite direction. I weary much to send some word to you, I know the anxiety you will have to hear from us will be as great as if we were your own and how we long to hear from you. I would give anything to see and have a long, long talk with you – wouldn’t it be a long one, I do hope that time will come too.

Thursday 26th. January 1860.

Have been very busy today so have not got up on deck yet. You will wonder what I am busy with, sometimes as today, not feeling very well, I am later in rising than usual, generally my first duty is (not very nice for polite ears like yours to hear) searching the blankets etc., etc., for Barley Prickles and I can assure you they are B.P.s. Oh shocking! you say, I have had enough of these Gala passengers and no mistake. This duty takes off a great part of my time. Then I had such a cooking, I made a very nice little rice pudding with some boiled rice we got yesterday with our beef. I lined one of our tin plates with paste, then put in the rice with sugar and a few raisins, then put a cover of paste and sent it to the oven and it was very nice. We have to contrive many sorts of made dishes, not found in “Meg Dod’s” to make our stores last and use up all the odds and ends. We can make nice little pies with the bits of left beef and an onion. This will not interest you very much, but I can’t have much to tell you, so must content myself with noting trifles.

Friday 27th. January 1860.

The ship is driving on at a great rate today, she has made the best run we have had yet, the last 24 hours, 282 knots. The Captain takes observations every day at twelve so from twelve yesterday till twelve today is the 24 hours. At this rate we will be in New Zealand if all goes well in (?) days. I have been up on deck for a very short time today, it is very wet and a great many folk getting duckings, I got a good sprinkling when coming along the deck. I think the wind is rising higher which I would rather not. She is lurching so much already. Eddie has been very ill with toothache. The little Brat determined to get it extracted, although he is rather a faint hearted little creature that when it came to the bit his purpose would fail, but he did make the Doctor do it this morning and bore it very well, only had he known it would be so sore he says he would not have done it. He thought his head would be off. It was a back tooth, the one that has troubled him for years. The doctor said he never saw such large roots in a boy his age. It came very nicely out so is better out and I hope a new one will come in its place.

Saturday 28th. January 1860.

Saturday again. The weeks are passing away, ten have passed tonight since we left Greenock and parted with you and uncle. How often will we have been in your thoughts since then. I often think you will have many wonderings about how we are getting on. Someway when I can get the time I am going to write a long bit about the disagreeables of the ship. All the passengers are terribly displeased and determined to expose Currie (?) and the Company for the way they have been cheated and as for the behaviour of some – how they got certificates of good character is hard to tell.

We are still going on very well, her run last 24 hours was 258. It has been more pleasant today, the sea is not nearly so high and a fine and dry day and as the wind is nearly aft the vessel does not roll much. I have been busy giving our wee place it’s Saturday cleaning. If it was not for these two men we would be pretty comfortable but they are known all over the ship as the coarsest and most disagreeable. It was a sorry day we had anything to do with them. I often feel quite ashamed that we have – especially every day when things are divided, the boys and they (for I never speak of them scarcely) are observed of all the observers and the indelicate talk and behaviour they go on with in their own place and just let us hear them is most detestable, however the time is passing quickly and for these things I am not sorry. But when I begin to think of landing in Otago and no place to go to I do not weary so much. But how little I know what way may even now be preparing for us – I can see God’s hand in many things since we came here and in nothing more than that we should be together down here. I would not for anything have been down in the single females cabin, you would not believe the shameful proceedings, there is scarcely a well behaved one amongst them, even the Smith’s, I never have anything to do with them now for they just use the same freedom with gentlemen and sailors as the rest. Now, not one of them offers the least familiarity with me, being often in the poop, all the cabin people speak to me and are very attentive. They make fun too, but never go further than I would wish them and I can assure you I keep very reserved.


Monday 30th. January 1860.

A very fine day, the last run is 250 knots – a short time now will bring us to the end of our voyage, if spared. How the time does fly, it is a year today since Jane left home for Heath Cottage – well do I remember the loneliness I felt that night when I went home and found it so empty and the fear I felt lest it should be God’s will that she should never return, and so it pleased him to take her to himself and she is far from all the care and trials which we are still left to endure. I do weary for a quiet Sabbath again, there is little difference here from other days of the week. We used to have a sort of service up on deck conducted either by the Doctor or Mr. Dowbiggin, but their conduct does not justify their supplying the place of a minister so a message was sent to Mr Dowbiggin that if he did it again all the married people, at any rate, would go below. The Doctor did it that day and the next some of them got Mr Mackay down here to do it and it has not been done on deck since.

Tuesday 31st. January 1860.

A very wet uncomfortable day. Only up on deck for a short time in the evening. Ships run 253 knots. Rolling very much tonight but a fine fair wind.

Wednesday 8th. February 1860.

Behind again. We expected to have had a sight of Van Dieman’s Land today but we have had almost a calm since Sabbath, which has blighted all our hopes which were to be in Otago on Monday. This is a great disappointment. We have been driving on at such a great rate that (with the Captain’s opinion) we all made ourselves sure of it. It has come on so suddenly, last week we had some very hard blows, one night I never slept. I was feeling anxious for a few days when I thought of being so near (if spared) and not knowing what is before us, but this is want of faith and I trust I will be enabled to strive against the temptation of the evil one and leave our case in His hands who has promised to be the Father of the fatherless and never to leave, never to forsake us. The Captain was telling us the other night that he is sure our first feelings will be that of disappointment. He says people have too high ideas of a new place and then feel disappointed, so he is preparing us for it. He was cheering me by telling me he was thinking there are no fears but what we will make friends. He often tells me he thinks I should take up a school in Dunedin. He has really been very kind to me.

Thursday 9th. February 1860.

We have had wind right ahead of us these two days back, which (the Captain says) has spoilt the quick passage he expected to make. We are running farther South tonight. There was another baby born the other night, poor wee thing, and is doing nicely now, although it has few of the comforts other babies are accustomed to.

Friday 10th. February 1860.

Still contrary winds and almost becalmed, but we have no remedy and will just require to wait patiently till it pleases Him who has all things in His power to give us a prosperous wind. We have been highly favoured ever since we came out and ought not to complain. This is one of our baking days and I have been very busy and feel very tired. We have to stand in such a constrained position that it makes one tired with what they would think nothing of at home. I baked a very nice loaf today – the first in my life. I got some leaven from a woman and when we get it we have only to keep a piece of the dough and dissolve it in water to the consistency of thick gruel, for the next day or so on. It’s a treat and the oatcakes are so too, for we are all tired of biscuits. There was a party in the 2nd. Cabin tonight. The guests were all officers of the ship.

Saturday 11th. February 1860.

Quite becalmed today. Sometimes her head turned towards home. There was a large Albatross captured today, measured 10ft. from tip to tip of his wings – they are beautiful creatures. I have a feather to send home. They look graceful flying or swimming, but when alighting on water you never saw anything more awkward. We have seen a good many wonders of the deep. There were two sharks brought in one day. What frightful strength they have. Some of the people wanted a piece of them, but I don’t fancy it at all. We got a treat the other day, guess what it was? Our knives scoured, scoured for the first time, one of the second cabin people, a mr Dunlop, came down and took them down to the cabin and cleaned them for us.

Wednesday 22nd. February 1860.

I have not written for more than a week, most of that time I spent in bed. I took a severe cold which affected me most in the head, neck and throat and obliged me to keep in bed. After two or three rough days we are now alongside Otago. A very rough looking place. Yet not more than our own rocky Scottish hills, they remind me much of Glencoe, but of course not so high. One of the hills we passed had the very shape and look of the Dunolly Hills, – they are all covered in brushwood. The vessel does not go all the way to Dunedin. We cast anchor at Port Chalmers, about five miles distant, where a steamer meets us and takes us up river on which Dunedin is built. We have just come to a point where a pilot lives and there is a wee hut and some cows, a woman and a boy. The pilot has not yet appeared. It has got very foggy and the wind rather ahead so the anchor is dropped now where we are. How deeply grateful we ought to be for all the long continued favour we have had and very little sickness. ……………………….(a few lines here are unreadable). A boat has just arrived with six Maori men and a tug is to be here in about half an hour and take us to Port Chalmers. It has now come on thick misty rain.

End of letter.






James & Jane Cameron had the following family of 7 children.



Jane Cameron born Peebles 4/7/1836 – died spinster 13/5/1859

in Oben, Scotland.

Catherine Ann Cameron born Peebles 25/2/1838 married in                          Dunedin 23/1/1861 to Samual Beaumont Stephens of Kuri Bush.

Died 1869

Hugh Cameron born Peebles 13/11/1839 married Sarah Preston

14/6/1867, died Ashburton (Ardentrive)25/1/1928.

James Keddie Cameron born Peebles 10/6/1841 married Marion                              Reynolds, died Moa Flat Station N. Z. 24/10/1887

John Cameron born Innerleithen 4/12/1843 died Conical Hills                                   Station Otago 30/10/1871 unmarried.

Isabella MacArthur Cameron born Ardentrive Kerrera 3/11/1845

married Donald Allan Tolme 23/10/1872 Grassmere Station, she         died 29/7/1933. (MacDiamids)

Edward Hume Cameron born Ardentrive Kerrera 6/6/1848, died                   Dunedin unmarried 6/11/1904 (Managed Stations for the                  Studholmes in Waimate.)







Hugh Cameron married Sarah Preston of Centrewood, Goodwood Otago 14/6/1867

(Note: Sarah’s brother, James Henry Preston married Margaret Ann Pringle in 1889 and bought Ben-Ohau Station in 1891.)


Hugh & Sarah’s 12 children were ….



James (went to South Africa)



Hugh (married E. Hodgekinson)

John (Jack) ( married Margaret Pringle) (J.E.P. Cameron “Ben-Ohau”)

Joseph (married A.M. Trotter)


Walter ( married M. Thiel.) (“Whiskers” Otamatata Station)

Arthur ( called Preston )

Fredrick ( married M. Watt )