Brave is a 2012 American 3D computer-animated fantasy comedy-drama film produced by Pixar Animation Studios and released by Walt Disney Pictures. It was directed by Mark Andrews and Brenda Chapman, and co-directed by Steve Purcell. The story is by Chapman, with the screenplay by Andrews, Purcell, Chapman and Irene Mecchi.
Chapman became Pixar’s first female director of a feature-length film. The film was produced by Katherine Sarafian, with John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton and Pete Docter as executive producers.
- Kelly Macdonald as Merida, a Scottish princess
- Peigi Barker as Young Merida
- Emma Thompson as Queen Elinor, Dunbroch’s queen and Merida’s mother.
- Billy Connolly as King Fergus, Dunbroch’s king and Merida’s father
- Julie Walters as The Witch
- Robbie Coltrane as Lord Dingwall
- Kevin McKidd as Lord MacGuffin and Young MacGuffin, whose lines were spoken in Doric
- Craig Ferguson as Lord Macintosh
- Steve Purcell as The Crow
- Patrick Doyle as Martin, the guard
- John Ratzenberger as Gordon, the guard
I have heard some rather average reviews of this film. However I loved it and think it’s one of the best of the Pixar films. Given that it’s a story about the relationship between a mother and daughter; I’m not the target audience for this film. However it gets everything right. There is great comedy, from slapstick to character moments. Then in the second half when things turn dark and dramatic there is some really engaging and emotional scenes.
It’s a great film.